Watch MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM on Netflix - then read about it in our celebrated book, BLACK BROADWAY!
Garden City Park, NY: Trumpeted now as much for the superb August Wilson play on which it is based as it is for being the final screen appearance of Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman, the Netflix-distributed film Ma Rainey's Black Bottom has received all manner of top critical accolades since it began to stream last month.
With so many watching the film at home, though, it begs questions as to just where this play came from and when it was first seen. The answer to that question, along with many others from over a century of enthused chronicle, can be found in our critically-acclaimed hardcover illustrated history book Black Broadway: African Americans on the Great White Way ($39.95 USD, ISBN: 978-0-7570-0388-2).
Written by six-time Tony Award-winning Broadway producer and theater historian Stewart F. Lane, this book uses words and illustrations—including more than 275 assorted b&w and color photographs—to capture the often rocky but ultimately triumphant road that African Americans have travelled to the Great White Way. The story stretches from the mid-1800s up to present day, and shows a progression through vaudeville to the Jazz Age and Second Harlem Renaissance all the way up to the present.
Here's what reviewers have said about Black Broadway to date:
* "Essential for any theater collection." —Library Journal (starred review)
* "Wonderfully illustrated and researched." —Booklist
* "You've got to get this book. This is what it's all about." —Ben Vereen
* "A brisk, fascinating overview [with] hundreds of rare and revealing photographs." —New York Magazine
* "This book is a must-have in every Black family's library, whether you are into Black theater or not. It is a tribute to the talent of our people." —The New York Amsterdam News
As we all begin the new year seeking an end to the COVID-19 pandemic, many of us also eagerly await a return to live theatre on Broadway and theatres nationwide. If you love the theatre, then you'll love Black Broadway!
Black Broadway is available in hardcover or as a digital eBook on Amazon, B&N, Bookshop, and wherever else books are sold.