GARDEN CITY PARK, NY: Over the past decade, there has been an ongoing and heated debate in this country about the dangers inherent in vaccines given to newborns and young children. What the public seems to be unaware of is the fact that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has looked the other way when it allows processed food manufacturers a free pass in producing foods that contain harmful levels of mercury, as well as many other heavy metal toxins—such as lead, cadmium, and arsenic, among others. These chemicals build up in our bodies over time, and they are shown to wreak serious havoc with our health—especially when it comes to autism, which is shown through science to be tied closely to heavy metal toxicity.
Why has this been allowed to happen? In her new landmark book Unsafe at Any Meal ($16.95 USD, Square One), Dr. Renee Dufault—former food investigator for the FDA—provides some startling answers to that question.
In the tradition of Rachel Carson’s groundbreaking 1962 book on the dangers of pesticides, Silent Spring, Dr. Dufault aims now with several years of research to both educate and hopefully save millions of American lives impacted negatively by the alarming allowances made for toxic amounts of heavy metals (mercury, in particular). The science proves these trace metals are allowed into our processed foods in order to maintain shelf life—and to increase profits. “Contaminants, such as heavy metal and pesticide residues,” according to Dr. Dufault, “are legally allowed in food ingredients in small amounts. These small amounts can eventually bioaccumulate in your body and create conditions of disease through unhealthy gene regulation. This is why,” she continues, “eating a Western diet high in processed foods will create Western disease conditions. Examples of these disease conditions include ADHD, autism, Alzheimer’s, heart disease, and Parkinson’s disease among others.”
Unsafe at Any Meal shares the following alarming facts about the state of processed foods at this time:
• Significant amounts of processed food contribute to high blood mercury levels, which can increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
• Food coloring—still the most common food ingredient in American and Canadian food supplies—brings significant risk to an increase of blood mercury levels and neurotoxins throughout the body.
• Mercury cell sodium hydroxide is put into processed foods by the High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) industry to increase product shelf life.
• Mercury, found in much of our water and food supply, is a scientifically proven toxicant that can cause a significant and increasing amount of damage to the body even at low-level exposure.
• A diet low in zinc makes it difficult for a person to excrete the mercury and other heavy-metal toxins found in processed foods, which leads to all manner of illness including chronic liver and kidney disease, cardiovascular disease and—especially alarming—autism.
If you have ever or now continue to consume sweetened and processed foods such as assorted cookies, canned soups, TV dinners, or even a bag of potato chips, then you have more than likely already been exposed to mercury. There is hope, however. When describing in her book what we can all do to create and maintain a safe food environment for ourselves at home, Dr. Dufault presents the following revised version of the United States government’s guidelines for a healthy diet:
• A variety of vegetables (dark green, red and orange, beans, peas, starchy)
• Whole fruits
• Whole grains
• Fat-free or low-fat dairy (e.g., milk, yogurt, cheese)
• Variety of protein foods (e.g., fish, seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes [beans
and peas] and nuts, seeds, and soy products)
• Healthy lipids (fats)
Unsafe at Any Meal has already received a strong review from Publishers Weekly that applauds the book for being “scathing about food labeling that omits mercury, arsenic, or other contaminants that can be found in foods as a result of production” and for “leav[ing] readers with a disquieting picture of current American food safety standards.” In addition to other expected reviews from within the trade and the health media in the coming weeks (including a front-page article in the July issue of Bottom Line/Personal with a circulation of 1.5 million readers), Dr. Dufault will appear as the keynote speaker for the nationally popular Green Festival® Expo at Jacob Javits Center in New York City (June 10 – 11, 2017). To learn more about the event, feel free to click here.
Unsafe at Any Meal is now available wherever books are sold.